Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Crazy Rich Asians

Caveat: I, like my family before me, am not a Crazy Rich Asian, although we are indeed Crazy Asians.

A short, unspoilery review of Crazy Rich Asians -- I LOVED it.  Went to see it in the theaters on opening day.  And I go to the movies about once a year, usually waiting for the DVD not only to come out, but to come available at the library.  

I loved the glimpse into how the 1% wishes it could live.  I loved seeing the family dynamics.  I think Awkwafina's character might be me, but with vastly better shoes.  And I simply adore Constance Wu, and here I love her in ways I never could in Fresh off the Boat because that character is meant to be tiger mom instead of a strong, independent woman.  Even if she is a banana.  Like me. 

Most importantly, having the entire cast and crew be Asians... wow.  You simply can't understand how powerful representation is and how under-represented Asians are until the entire screen is filled with people who LOOK LIKE YOU.  Not too long ago I saw a book that put in the caveat that although it was printed in color, the characters were left uncolored so people of all backgrounds could see themselves in the story.  I tell you what, that means they show up in white.  

I gotta read the book!

No comments:

Post a Comment