Saturday, October 29, 2016

Profiling

11pm visit by eight (eight?!?!) of Kernersville's finest today.

All is well, and was well when they came too.  Eight?!?

We have a campaign worker staying with us this week.  Older gent, larger gent... and he's Indian.  He pulled up to our next door neighbors' late tonight instead of ours -- same facade, one house over.  Their dogs barked, which told him he had the wrong house (he met the guinea pigs & knew we didn't have dogs).    He was unloading his laptop & stuff from his car at the wrong house, then put it back and drove to ours.  One house away.

He deposits laptop & shoes at our place and says he went to the wrong house and they called the cops.  I'm up to my elbows in housepaint and just yell back a welcome.  Next thing I know Earl is talking loudly about how he's our houseguest.  I come up front to the porch and the cops yell at me to go back into the house.  "He's our guest," I bellow back.

Evidently it was called in as a B&E, then the neighbor saw him coming over and called us to warn us.  He came over after, met our guest, and apologized profusely. 

I'm glad we have cops who respond quickly.  But two makes sense to me.  Four cop cars, flashing lights, and handcuffing our guest as we stand on the porch vouching for him?  I don't think that would have happened to a white guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment