Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Glory, Glory, Hallelujah!

I went to Howard with a number of truly gifted singers and musicians. One accompanied us in choir and Showcase for perhaps two years before transferring to the Duke Ellington School of the Arts. I turned pages for Daniel; that was my skillset.

Recently his grandfather, Rev Eddie F Moore Sr, passed, and as a tribute at the Homegoing, he played the song his grandfather always requested. And he played verse after verse in different styles, each heart-grabbing. God's truth is marching on.

Daniel's testimony after the fact:

"I just wanted thank everyone who has expressed their condolences to me & my family by sharing, commenting, and/or liking the video of me paying tribute to my late Grandfather. When I was a kid, it didn't matter whether I was practicing Chopin, Whitfield, or Monk, my Grandfather would always walk by and say, "Play the Battle Hymn of the Republic!" I never really knew why he liked that song so much, but it's the only musical request he's ever made of me. Then the last time I saw him, he said "I thought I was out of here a little while ago, & I told them I wanted you to play The Battle Hymn of the Republic at my funeral." Well Granddad, here we are...

"I think my father said it best, Granddad's passing was bittersweet. We all knew he didn't want to live like that, and we certainly didn't want to see him continue to suffer, but that doesn't take away the pain we feel from his absence in our lives. I'll probably be numb for a little while, but i know he's resting now. As we strive to keep his legacy alive through excellence, consistency, & all the principles of life he taught us, all that's left to say now is..."Glory Glory Hallelujah, His truth is marching on!!""

No comments:

Post a Comment